Serves 2-4 depending on how much you love periwinkles!
- 4 cups of fresh periwinkles
- a small handful of fresh seaweed
- about 2 tbsp garlic powder
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- household pin (sterilized briefly over a flame)
- Collect periwinkle snails and seaweed from rocks in salt water
- Rinse them in a strainer and add seaweed
- Put in a cooking pot, cover with water and sprinkle garlic powder and fresh ground pepper on them
- Boil for 20 minutes. You can eat immediately but we recommend bringing them to room temperature, refrigerating them and then eating them a couple hours later - it gives the garlic powder time to work its way into the periwinkles
- One at a time, use your pin to flick the eye/scale off the periwinkle. Then, stick the pin in the shell, pull out the snail and eat it. Yum!