How to Boil & Break Down Lobster
- Chef Mark Goldberg demonstrates his technique for two 1½ lb lobsters
- large pot of boiling water
- large container of ice water
Boil & Cool Lobsters
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop lobsters head-first into the pot
- Simmer 7 minutes for 1½ lb lobsters. (Add 3 minutes cooking time for each additional pound)
- Remove from pot and plunge into ice water bath to stop cooking. Let cool thoroughly for a few minutes to cool before the next step
Break Down the Lobsters
- Remove from ice water bath and lay lobsters on a cutting board; have a towel handy as removing shells will release a lot of water!
- Separate claws and tail; discard head or use for stock
- With a good chef's knife, slice the tail lengthwise down the middle and split in half; meat will come out of the shell easily
- Claws consist of the knuckle and the claw itself. Pull the claw finger straight back and it will snap off to remove the tendon. With a large knife, crack the claw open to remove meat
- Break the knuckle into 2 pieces and use the back side of a spoon handle or small fork to remove the meat
- Easy when you know how!