- 2 ripe yellow/black plantains (the darker they are, the softer and sweeter they will be)
- canola oil for frying
- Cut off ends of plantains and make 3 or 4 lengthwise slits, then peel
- Cut crosswise into ½-1" slices at a slight angle
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and fry plantains until they change slightly in color, about 2 minutes each side. Don't overcook
- Transfer to a plate with paper towels
Note: These are a staple in Latin American cuisine. In Venezuela we serve them on our traditional dish called Pabellon -- fried plantains, shredded beef, white rice and black beans!