- 2 lbs ground beef (85% lean)
- 1-½ cups non-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 dashes ground allspice
- ¾ tsp garlic powder*
- ½ tsp black pepper*
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley*
- dash of Mrs. Dash
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup corn oil
- 1 cup water
- In a large and deep bowl, mix dry ingredients
- Add meat and eggs
- Add corn oil and water gradually (Warning: You can add more as you need - but can't take any out if it's too wet!)
- Dig in! Mix well with a wooden spoon or get right in there with your hands. (Jane's memory of Nonni from Filicudi, Italy - "The flavor was in her fingers!")
Roll the Meatballs
Roll meatballs in the palms of your hands tightly into desired size (golfball-size recommended)
Cook the Meatballs in Sauce
- Gently place meatballs, one at a time, into warm pasta sauce (enough to cover the meatballs). Place meatballs in circular fashion
- Use a wooden spoon to move the sauce. Allow the meatballs to sink into the sauce.
- Cover pot. Sauce should be very hot to a slight bubble. (Do not stir the meatballs as they may fall apart.)
- Oil will rise to the top. Feel free to skim this off.
- Simmer until cooked through (approximately 1-1/2 - 2 hours)
Serve over pasta, in a crusty roll, or as is. Enjoy!
*The amount of these spices can be altered to fit your taste buds.
Tip: These meatballs freeze very well. Put them in a container with sauce and pop in the freezer. Simply defrost and heat on the stove.